"A reader
lives a thousand lives before he dies...
The man who never
reads lives only one."

- George R.R. Martin

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A new way to teach Writing and Reading

-->
As a requirement for one of my Graduate courses at FGCU and as a profession development activity, I am going to read a book about teaching Language Arts to middle schoolers. The book I have chosen is In the Middle: New Understanding About Writing, Reading, and Learning by Nancie Atwell who oddly enough is a resident of my home state, Maine. I chose this book primarily because I would like to restructure my classroom to be the best “type” of classroom where my students participate in collaborative and real life writing and reading: a place where they can truly discover a love for reading and writing. So much of the instruction I currently do as a first year teacher is direct instruction on how to write a 5 paragraph essay for a prompt and how to use textual evidence when responding to a text. Many times I feel like I, as a teacher am beating my head against a wall; some of my students are excelling in this but others are not finding any inspiration or enjoyment out of class, let alone producing good writing. If I am feeling this way, I wonder how they are feeling. I am hoping to get some ideas from this book to re-inspire my teaching techniques and reach my students in a new and exciting way when it comes to writing and reading. Just from the table of contents, I believe I have found a book to help me accomplish this.

No comments:

Post a Comment