"A reader
lives a thousand lives before he dies...
The man who never
reads lives only one."

- George R.R. Martin

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tangerine Poems and letters



I have just started a unit on Tangerine by Edward Bloor with my 7th grade English Classes. Within the unit we are also covering metaphors and similes. Yesterday my students had the following choices after a lesson in which they each got to experiences describing the taste, feel, smell, and sight of a tangerine.

a)      Create a Poem about the Tangerine using 2 metaphors, 2 similes, descriptive language, and imagery.
b)      Write a letter to an alien who has never seen, smelled or tasted a tangerine to explain what they are missing out on. Be sure to use 2 metaphors, 2 similes, descriptive language and imagery that the alien might understand.
c)      Create a venn diagram comparing and contrasting an onion and a tangerine. Be sure to use 2 metaphors, 2 similes, descriptive language and imagery.

While a lot of my students chose the oh-so-borring Venn diagram assignment. Some chose the more creative options. I wanted to take a minute and share with you some of their work.

Tangerine Poem
What joy you bring me
Like the morning of Christmas Eve
Oh, how sweet you be
You are delicious to me
Rotten or bruised
A good life you grew
Sweet and Round
And only a pound
You are like my honey for a bee
I see you in a market
And money in my pocket
I don’t want to eat meat
You are now inside of me

Letter to an Alien
Dear Cornocopia,
            You are missing out on so much down here on earth. Especially, the tangerines! The tangerine is as rich as 1,000,000,000 dollars. The sweetness and the sourness explode in your mouth. Once you begin to peel it, the room as odor of citrus. Also eating a tangerine is like being in heaven. It’s marvelous! TO me a tangerine is my life. It will become yours too when you bite into one. A tangerine is the life here on earth. Come visit from you world and visit earth. You won’t be disappointed.

Poem
A orange color fruit
Makes my tongue whistle like a flute
The fruit I’m describing is a tangerine
Tangerine is as orange as an orange
Bright yellow as the sun
A nice fellow
Tangerine is king Kong in my mouth
Tangerine is explosive like a bomb

Poem
A tangerine is an orange
Except it tastes better
You can taste the sweet
And write it in a letter

The sweetness is like candy
Tasting so sweet
When you eat the fruit you do to a paradise with tweets

A tangerine is a gumball
Filled with lots of flavor
If you give someone the fruit you may get a favor

The tangerine is as bright as the sun
I’d rather eat this than gum

Letter
The tangerine is very tasty alien. It is as big as your plant. Healthier than a apple. It is even better looking than you. It is like gold as a token from God. That is how the tangerine is you disgusting alien. The tangerine for me is like a block of diamond.

1 comment: